Sri Lanka, like India, was under the domination of the British Empire. This is the reason that English is quite common in the big cities. When you travel there, you can expect to hear it especially in the touristic regions and hotel receptions. You can embark on many activities, but the most popular destinations are the beautiful beaches and the multitude of historical museums and temples. For the hiking enthusiasts, there is also a high point at 2,524 metres at Piduruthalagala.
As you probably already know, Sri Lanka is a cheap destination that allows you to shape your budget in such a way that you can experience everything and be sure that you don’t break the bank. But even so, be sure to compare travel money providers to get the best GBP to LKR exchange rate available. This way you can really maximize your travel budget and buy more Sri Lankan Rupees with the same amount of Pounds.
Best Sri Lankan Rupee Exchange Rate – Top Travel Money Providers
The holiday money providers shown above were united into one list for your convenience. This way it is easier to compare GBP to LKR exchange rates. As you can see, the list includes the best travel money providers that we managed to gather. Choose the right one for your needs.
In the table below we offer you the exchange rates of 30 different merchants, which serves to enable you to make the best choice possible and double check your decision.
Buy Sri Lankan Rupees for 1,000 Pounds; Travel Money – Additional Providers
Are these the most accurate GBP to LKR exchange rates?
As a small disclaimer, the prices in the table shown above are updated hourly. So, in most of the cases, you can heavily rely on it but is not 100% accurate, 100% of the time. Sometimes technical errors may happen or the companies decide to make drastic changes to their feeds and the updates will take some time to reflect in our table. So, before buying Sri Lankan Rupees and exchanging your money, be sure to double check with the company so you know beforehand exactly what rates they use on that day.
Travelling to Sri Lanka – Gov.UK’s Recommendation
Read the recommendation here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/sri-lanka
UK embassy in Sri Lanka:
High Commission of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Colombo
- Address: 389 Bauddhaloka Mawatha, Colombo 00700, Sri Lanka
- Phone: +94 11 5 390639
Travelling to Sri Lanka – Cost Comparison
- An inexpensive meal at a restaurant would cost you less than £1.5 (against £12 in the UK, which is approximately 90% less).
- A can of Coca-Cola would cost you 30% of what it would in the UK, being only £0.4.
- You can relax your legs and ride a taxi all day long since it costs 90% less than in the UK.
- Fruits and vegetables are also 30%-50% cheaper than in the UK. So, spoil yourself with a cup of fruits shake.
In general, it is one of the cheapest countries in the world to travel to.
Data from Numbeo, and various travel sites.
Travelling to Sri Lanka – Popular Destinations Around the Country
These are the most popular destinations in Sri Lanka:
- Colombo – the capital city of Sri Lanka and one of the cultural centres of this magical island.
- Kandy – the second largest city in Sri Lanka located between a lake and the high mountains around. Enjoy the architectural buildings and the beauty of this area.
- Negombo – a small paradise near the capital city that is full of spoiling resorts and places to relax. You can visit churches and cathedrals or choose to go to the nature and wildlife areas.
- Hikkaduwa – if you are a pro or a novice it does not matter – surfing there would be the most exciting experience. You can also relax with a view of the ocean on the beautiful beaches.
Based on Trip Advisor
LKR Rate Comparison
We are full of hope you liked reading our guide for travellers to Sri Lanka and you find the best way to exchange Pounds to Sri Lankan Rupees. We are updating our site and the currency exchange rates constantly and trying to provide the relevant content that will help finding the best travel money provider for every single one of your trips. Just remember that the best provider right now does not have to be the cheapest in the future. Thus, it is essential to check the GBP to LKR exchange rate before every trip. We hope to see you again soon!
Enjoy your time in Sri Lanka!